Saturday, October 3, 2020

FINALLY….

 I finished painting something!  

Now that these are finally done, we can move on with the Second Battle of Bridgeton.  The table has been set up, less this motely collection of Knights since the end of June  Wow, I didn’t realize it had been that long.  It didn’t help that September kicked my ass on so many levels, I can’t even begin to list them all.

 

But, enough whining,  On with the photos.

 

After the last battle I realized that I needed more command figures.  In digging through the proverbial lead pile I uncovered this fellow.  He’ll come in handy in the ensuing battle.  I’m pretty sure he’s from Old Glory, but I don’t recall the range – probably the Eastern Renaissance range.

 



 

Next we have the long awaited unit of Barded Knights.  These are from Crusader USA and were acquired piecemeal over many years at various conventions, with the last pack just acquired for next to nothing at Cold Wars this year.  They are from the War of Roses range.  They were fun to paint, although the horses legs are a little ‘flimsy’ and  trying to cram 3 of them onto a 60mm frontage is problematic, at best.  My main gripe is that the hands, as cast, are completely incompatible with the lances.  I was able to pry most of the hand open a little more to at least give me some surface to try to glue the lances to – and I only snapped the fingers off one of the figures in the process.

 


Not some of better work, and I just realized I forgot to paint any socks on the horses.  Grrrr.


The next battle has been mostly fought out at this point, post to follow.  Needless to say the carefully crafted plan of each commander went out the window on around the 3rd initiative roll. And the curse of 'new' units and their performance in their first table top appearance seems to still be in effect.   I really do believe that the card mechanism of the Piquet family of rules is perfect for solo play.


View from the attacker side.  



Stay safe in this crazy world.


So much lead, so little time.







4 comments:

  1. Good looking cavalry! Looking forward to the annals of battle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having just done a bunch of Crusader Roman cavalry, their horses are very nice but they are indeed a bit weak in the ankles. I too had issues at times getting the hands to fit the Javelins (wire).

    That's a pretty fair sized battle! Obviously, I concur with the high suitability of Piquet/FoB/HR for solo play. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Peter. Weak in the ankles is putting it nicely.
    When you’re fighting for control of the village with the best cheese in the land, you bring what you can. Unfortunately, due to the whims of the dice gods, most saw no action. ... but more on that later.

    ReplyDelete