Monday, October 19, 2020

The things we save

 Just a quick off topic post.

So, as 2020 continues to kick my backside I’ve been going through some boxes that probably haven’t been opened since I went off to the Army many, many years ago.  The last one I opened served up this little gem.   You might call it the grandfather of today’s 3D printers (at least for war gaming). 


 

What is it? Well, that my friends is Mattel’s Injector Western World set, circa 1968.  They also made a version that allowed fresh faced innocent kids to make plastic Hot Wheels cars at home as well.  

 

The outside of the box pretty much explains how it works. 

 


 

Essentailly you placed one of Mattel’s proprietary ‘Plastix’ cylinders into the injector.  Assembled the front and back of the aluminum molds, waited for the plastix to melt, and pushed down on the handled to inject the melted plastix into the mold. 

 

A package of Plastix cylinders still in the original, unopened blister pack  and some left overs.

And the actual injector


 

And the aluminum molds.  As I recall the pieces never fit together right.  Or maybe I've just never been able to assemble a model.

I found a few 50+ year old works in progress in the box as well.  This could be my first unfinished war game project, now that I think about it.

And the town, with a horse base and maybe part of a horse on the roof.


Note- no silly warnings about burns, disfigurement, or any other actual or perceived danger to protect the precious little snowflake operating the machine.  In the 60’s and 70’s kids were tough, and if they weren’t, well then natural selection took over.

 

Oh yea, I also found this monstrosity in the attic.  I’ve been trying unsuccessful to sell this to some sucker… I mean collector off and on for close to 40 years.  Fortuantely, I think I found a dealer locally that will take it off my hands for $5 – I just hope that means he’ll pay me the $5 and not the other way around.



Sorry for being off topic.

 

So much lead, so little time.




5 comments:

  1. Yes, we were tougher back then. Recess games of chicken with pocket knives thrown between feet come to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knives were definitely out except in Scouting, but I recall a somewhat similar product with metal molds that heated up, and then liquid "plastigoop" was added to the molds to make jiggly plastic "creepy crawlies" of various colorations. Pretty fun, actually!

    The current American necessity to point out the obvious for the benefit of the brain dead now borders on the absurd, one must agree. "One hundred foot tall stadium wall - warning, falling or jumping off may cause serious injury or death". Oh really, that hadn't occurred to me somehow.
    Or professionally, every video visit (common with the pandemic), I am required to point out the obvious, namely that I can see and hear via the video, but I can't touch anything, listen to the heart or lungs, check BP over the video etc. Honestly, anyone that isn't obvious to has pretty serious issues that at very least would make them incapable of informed consent anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is brilliant Barry! Do I sense a western-themed skirmish game coming?!
    Regards, James
    p.s. Bill Engvall's "Here's your sign" says it so well, doesn't it?!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Yes it does. I'm holding off on Western Skirmish until I can find a James West (Robert Conrad) figure from the Wild Wild West TV series.

      Delete