Thursday, April 2, 2020

No Cossacks Today

The next unit of Cossacks is primed and ready to be painted.  But, I have a hankering for a solo game to sort of kick off my Otherwhere alternate history Renaissance-ish  campaign, (Sheesh - I really need to come up with a better name).  The first little skirmish will be loosely based on the ‘Raid on the Cheese Factory ’ scenario from the Hostile Realms Scenario book.  But before I can get to that point, I needed a couple more Halberd infantry units, and I wanted a ‘outdated’ looking artillery piece.  I still need to paint up one more unit of formed Archers, then I’m ready to try and roll some dice.  My hope is that if I can actually manage to get a game in, it may motivate me to finish the #$%$ map that has been languishing for months.

The first unit of Halberds.  These are Old Glory, I don’t recall the range, the figures have been laying around for at least 12 years, maybe longer.

 Sorry about the focus (or lack thereof) I miss the old SLR cameras




The Second unit of Halberds.  These are Black Tree Design, from their 100 Years War range.  
These fine fellows at least had the courtesy to stay mostly in focus


The Artillery unit.  This is from Old Glory as well.  I wanted something to convey a ruler/kingdom that wasn’t really into the whole gunpowder thing – it’s just a fad, it won’t last.   



And once you put them all together...

Now, that's the kind of force I want defending my cheese factory.


On a much more serious note, I hope the handful of folks that stop by these pages for my ramblings are all staying safe.  Think of social distancing as a golden opportunity to clean up the lead pile – or to order more lead. 
 I’ve been working remotely almost full time for over a year, only going into the office one or two days a month.  So from my perspective, other than grocery shopping being a bit of chore, and the restaurants all being closed, not much has changed in my routine.  I know for some this has been a major upheaval.

Mother Nature decided to remind us ‘up here’ that she still has a sense of humor.  Tuesday morning we had the below view out the kitchen window.
It would have been much prettier if it wasn't March 31st.

And finally, I am also happy to say that my neighbors, which are few and very far between, are practicing safe social distancing as can be seen in the shot below.  This neighbor stopped by, at a safe distance, Tuesday morning following the snow.


This has to be the biggest fox I’ve ever seen.  It’s hard to tell from the photo but he is easily as large as the Coyote’s we have running through the back yard. Not too bad for an iPhone photo given the distance and shooting through a window.  



Stay safe.

So much lead, so little time.

7 comments:

  1. Great looking units and guns. Say 'hi!' to the neighbors for us.

    I eagerly await your map. I usually cheap out and use the 5x5.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. I’m pretty anxious to see my map too - LOL

      Delete
  2. Well done, nice looking figures, impressive artillery...and splendid fox!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we have no Cossacks; we have no Cossacks today!

    The trio of new additions look good. The Old Glory halberdiers are probably from the Eastern European range that includes the Hussites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very well fed looking fox. Did you use to have chickens, perchance? 😮

    ReplyDelete