Sunday, September 11, 2022

Building Fences

 I've taken an interest in the Stargrave rules, for SciFi skirmish type games.  I guess it's sort of a return to 40K, but (hopefully) without the once a year rule changes.  This had me looking at my terrain, which is woefully lacking in the scatter type of terrain needed for skirmish games.  

My solution was to slap together some fencing.  The process is quick, easy, and inexpensive (all from materials I had laying around the house).  So, after grabbing some craft sticks, skinny sticks (like coffee stirrers but thicker), and some sheet rock mesh fiber tape I had left over from the renovations when we moved, and I started building fences.  

The process goes quickly, and using a hot glue gun avoids the need to wait for the glue to dry between steps.

So far I've only done with the 28mm sized fencing.  But I think you should be able to cut the tape down to accommodate 15mm and 6mm figures as well, although for 6mm toothpicks would probably work best for the fence post.


The materials are gathered.

The thin sticks have been cut to length to accommodate the width of the sheet rock tape.  6 pieces will form 3 fence post.

A close up of the fiber tape.  I really don't recall what the official name is, it's designed to add support for patching larger holes in drywall.  


The tape, cut to length to cover the craft stick from end to end

Glue one 'post' to each end and the middle of the tape.

Turn the tape over and glue post to the other side.


Spray paint black, I gave the fence a coat of silver paint.  The post will get a coat of oily steel. Then since I'm going for an old, somewhat unkept look, it will get random splotches of Burnt Red to (hopefully) simulate rust.  You can also tear the tape to give the look of a fence that's been broken into.

Hot glue it to the craft stick, and texture the base.


From a gaming distance I think they look passable.

Take care and enjoy what's left of the nice weather.  Snow starts in about a month and half, or sooner.

So much lead, so little time

 

6 comments:

  1. Nice 'how to' post, sore is easier than cutting hardware cloth to fit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Definitely easier if you have the mesh tape laying around. Probably cost prohibitive if you don't, I don't recall what I paid for the roll 4 years ago, but I'm sure it has gone up considerably since then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ve3ry functional and quick to do, looks the part!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Far more than passable, these look great Barry. A fine piece of terrain making from scratch!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete