Sunday, July 10, 2016

BOOM!


Three post in one year!  Somebody stop me I’m on fire.

Just a quick update to prove I am still alive and slowly plodding along on cleaning up the lead pile.  The original plan for this year was to NOT buy any new lead, and make at least some minimal progress on the lead piles.  But as they say, no plan survives contact with Historicon planning. 

First up from the lead pile are a couple of Artillery Batteries.  As I think I’ve mentioned before I paint my Russian Batteries as 3 stand batteries to reflect the larger 12 gun batteries – although in conventions (and most local games) they are represented on the table as two stand batteries.

On to the photos.  As always, click to enlarge if you’re feeling brave.

These are Elite Miniatures Russian Guard Artillery figures.  These are the first Elite figures I’ve painted.  They’re pretty ‘clunky’ figures, and definitely lack the smooth lines of the Front Rank figures.  I’m not sure the plumes are painted the correct color, and they would be more appropriate for 1815 or so.  Odds are they’ll never end up on the table, but it wouldn’t be the first unit I painted that will never get used.





These are Front Rank Russian Horse Artillery figures. 
Auto focus on the camera was acting up on this one.





A battery of Front Rank Russian ‘light’ (6#) foot artillery.  


In sorting through the lead pile I stumbled across this mounted commander in a Kiwer that I had forgotten about.

And the only unit in todays post that is ‘new’ lead, the Ekaterinoslav Cuirassier Regiment.  These are also Front Rank figures.  And there's that same house in the back ground.  Whatever is in it must be important?


Looking at these photos I see I forgot to paint something.  

I hope to see some of you at Historicon later this week.  

So much lead, so little time.







9 comments:

  1. Looking good, Barry! You are way ahead in posts. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I especially like the mounted officer in kiwer, and of course, the Ekaterinaslav Cuirassiers. They'll be making their tabletop debut in just a few days for the Liebertwolkwitz Battle at Historicon. More Russian Artillery. MORE Russian artillery! :-)
    Well, you had to have some Russian Guard artillery in your army, right? I think I did all of the Guard units for the Borodino game (2012).
    I have to tell you that I was SO glad last night at about 1 AM that I didn't have to organize, pack up, and transport the Russian cont9ngent for the game, so thatks again for doing them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter, you know you can NEVER have enough Russian artillery. There's still more waiting to be primed when I get back from Historicon.
      I'll put the Guard Artillery in the same box as the Guard Cossacks, another unit that will probably never see the table top again.
      You know, now that I've got 3 Russian Cuirassiers, I might as well go ahead and paint the remaining 2 units from the 2nd Cuirassier Division, right? I mean, what with the exchange rate getting more favorable, I almost HAVE to do it. (as long as I can hide the bill from the Czarina - this may take some planning)

      Delete
    2. You definitely need at least ONE more Cuirassier regiment to make 4, and, well, with the postage it isn't that much more to get 3 more for an even six!
      Besides, I have 5 French Cuirassiers plus a Carabinier... not to mention the cavalry of the Guard so you're just keeping up with Boney!

      If your artillery units do well when we resume the "campaign", some might make it to Guard status...

      Delete
  3. Thanks Joe. I have no doubt once you get started you'll leave me in the dust.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking figures Barry. I hope that you have/are having/had a great time at Historicon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks James. A good time was had (hopefully) by all. I enjoyed the event.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking minis, impressive artillery!

    ReplyDelete