Friday, November 4, 2022

DAMMIT JIM!

I’m a gamer, not a model maker.

 

Wow, October is gone already, and without a single post – I suck.

 

That doesn’t mean that things haven’t been happening.  On the Eurica front,  all of the belligerents have been greedily accepting reinforcements sent from the various supporting super power.  Painting continues and with any luck a new offensive may kick off this month.

 

On the Outlandishain Chronicles front, I’m still trying to figure out a scenario (short of just faking the results) where the Earl can pull his lard out of the fire.  But with luck there should be some Renaissance action before the end of the month as well.


I guess 2 months ago now I played my first game of Stargrave and I found the game to be very enjoyable for a skirmish game.  It played fast, the outcome was clear, and the rules were  easy to pick up quickly.  

 

The other thing I’ve been working (slowly) on is more terrain. In anticipation of the Outlandishian Chronicles kicking off I’ve been busy building earthworks, that will also double nicely for Napoleonics.

 

A single battery emplacement, with flank cover.  
And what's up with the line on the background scenery?  Some sort of temporal rift?  Dimensional Portal?  I didn't notice it at the time.


And a ground eye view.



This one is a bit more ambitious and is only 1/2 completed.  So far I have one gun emplacement and one infantry section plus one of the end caps completed.  Terrain is a mood thing for me and I sort of ran out of the mood before I finished this.


Vulture's eye view


And ground eye view



And now, back to the title of the post for those of you that have been wondering what does any of this drivel have to do with the title?  I can do passable terrain, but models... nope.  As proven below.



The shuttle body was a block of styrofoam that came as packing with something I ordered. The size looked right, so I beveled the front.  The engine pods are old 'Marks-a-lot' felt tips markers with a coat of white paint.  


And finally, Project Z is still a ways off, but I'm trying to determine what figures I'll be using.  I found the below on Shapeway.  They're the Nightfury, (basically a starfury with a rear gunner.  I'm thinking of using them as a bomber. (bonus points if you recognize the TV show).  The 3D print is pretty good and has enough detail on it.  They're a bit brittle and I managed to snap one of the wings off when I was drilling the hole for the mounting wire, but it glued back on easily enough.

Scale wise, these are a little big, but let's be honest, a space fighter or bomber at true scale would be too small to see given the size of most of the warships.


For Project Z I plan on using the Full Thrust rules, which has fighter and bomber squadrons at 6 figures each.  Trying to fit 6 of these on a base was a bit of challenge.  I may need to either buy bigger bases or maybe only model 4 figures to a squadron.  Still debating that.  But then again, the 'swarm' vibe this gives is slowly growing on me.






That's it for now.


So much lead, so little time.












4 comments:

  1. I think the redoubts look great, Barry!
    The shuttle isn't half bad, really - throw a few decals or similar on it and it would really look the part!
    Full Thrust, eh? Like Napoleonic sailing rules, I have a plethora of Sci Fi Naval rules to try out, FT is a tried and true set; I have that one, too.
    Will you be back in CT any time ijn the next few months?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Peter, with the upcoming Holiday's it will probably be January until I'm in CT with some "me" time available.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe get a larger circular base and cut it in half.... Mount 3 per half circle?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Dave. That may work. I need to play around with the basing more and make a final decision on what Capital ships I'm going to be using.

    ReplyDelete