Friday, February 17, 2023

Feeling Spacey

Project Z continues on the back burner.  I’m still trying to find some ship figures that fit the feel I’m looking for.  Of course, it would help if I could articulate what that feel is, but I can’t – I’ll know it when I see it.

I wasn’t having much luck on the traditional lead sculpted ships so I decided to do what the kewl kids due and went to  Shapeways.  I found a couple from TV shows I watched back in the day.  

 

First up, an Earth Alliance Omega Class Destroyer.  Bonus points if you recognize the TV Series – there continues to be a youtube rumor that there is a new version of the series supposedly in the works with actors already signed up.  We’ll see.


The photo doesn’t do this justice but it has very nice detail, with crisp clean lines.  I ordered this before Christmas and just got around to painting it up.  I ordered a couple more, but… the price seems to have gone up several dollars per sculpt.  Not cheap, but in small numbers doable.

 

Hopefully this view shows off some of the detail of the sculpt better.

It has a certain gritty feel, especially with the habitation section that rotates to create gravity due to a lack of artificial gravity technology.

 

And I also gave this one a try.  The figure was about half the price as the one above, and the detail, or lack thereof, is evidently the reason for the price difference.  I won’t be buying any more of these.  Again, bonus points if you recognize the series.  In hind sight, most of the stories were pretty lame, which was a pity because it had an interesting background they could have done a lot more with.  Lexa Doig still makes it worth watching though, in my opinion.




 

That’s it for now,

 

So much lead, so little time

5 comments:

  1. Missed all the TV sci-fi from '69 to '92. You will have to enlighten one of the unwashed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first ship looks great, and is from Babylon 5, right? I didn't see it back in the day, but caught up with it about 15 years ago. The second ship - not a clue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe, that's a long sci-fi dry spell. Unfortunately you didn't miss much.
    Peter, you are correct. The first one is from Babylon 5. I also didn't watch the show when it was first released but got hooked on the reruns.
    The second ship is the Systems Commonwealth warship Andromeda Ascendant from Gene Roddenberry's 'Andromeda' series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andromeda? I don't recall ever hearing about that series!

      Delete
  4. I'm not surprised Peter. Sadly, the stories were rather 'weak' in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete