Friday, January 22, 2021

Romans

 The second army I started after getting back into the hobby was Imperial Romans.  My Pict forces that I started way back when in College needed somebody to fight, after all, and Romans are the logical opponent.  Unfortunately, I was apparently still under the impression in the early 2000’s that you needed to paint eyes.  Fortunately somewhere along the way I figured it out and stoped that foolishness.

 

These figures are a mix of Old Glory, Black Tree Design and one other manufacturer who’s name I can’t recall.  There may also be one or two old 1980’s RalPartha figure mixed in as well.  For some reason in my cloudy memory I thought I had more troops than this.  Oh well, that’s the purpose of this exercise to get them all out and see what’s there.  I know I saw more Black Tree Design Roman’s in the lead pile, maybe they need to get a little attention next?


The morning light through the game room windows seems to cause some issues with the photos.  Live and learn I guess.


First up, the obligatory unit of Javelin skirmishers.

Unfortunately I don't recall who the manufacturer is


And a unit of Archers.  These are Black Tree Design.


And of course, Cavalry.  Unfortunately I have no idea who the manufacturer is, I picked these up at my first Historicon from one of the vendors.


And a couple of units of old school artillery.

I think these are from the 1980's.  Probably Ral-Partha??  


Onager and crew from Black Tree Designs.

And next the Infantry

3 units of Auxiliaries.  I think these are Old Glory, with a few command figures from the 1980's thrown in to round them out.  I thought I had 5 or 6 units of these... so much for my memory.  I guess that just means I need to paint more.



And a Testudo, again Black Tree Design figures.  Impractical for games?  Maybe, but I just like the way it looks.




Old Glory Legionaries with a couple of command figures from the 1980's.

More Old Glory Legionaries


And some Black Tree Design Legionaries.  The lighting really doesn't do them justice.

More Black Tree Design


That's a pretty paltry selection actually.  I really thought I had more than that.  The photo's also really make me think I need to go back over these and hit them with a wash as well.  My painting style (if you can call it a style) has changed a little in the last 20 years.

Up next, some Outlandish Tales if all goes according to plan.

So much lead, so little time.




2 comments:

  1. Always a joy to see a Roman Army. Just such history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Joe. Definitely an era I need to give a little more attention too.

    ReplyDelete